Having been the user and follower of Dynamips with GNS3 for years, I have achieved CCIE Routing & Switching plus numerous Cisco qulifications as GNS3 is an excellent complementary tool to real labs for Cisco network engineers, administrators and people in pursuit of these certifications.
Generally speaking, the main features include:
* Design of high quality and complex network topologies.
* Emulation of many Cisco router platforms and PIX firewalls.
* Simulation of simple Ethernet, ATM and Frame Relay switches.
* Connection of the simulated network to the real world!
* Packet capture using Wireshark.
At the moment, a new release of GNS3 has been released as version 0.7RC1 for testing and development.
Another main new feature is the integration of the Juniper router emulation using Qemu plus others features, namely:
* Qemu integration.
* ASA integration using Qemu.
* An undo/redo framework (not fully debugged tough).
* Translations in Italian and Farsi (thanks to our contributors).
* Various bugs fixes and improvements.
Obviously, it is the time to look into the Juniper’s stuff for the completion of the networking skills, especially focusing on the firewalls.
More information will be found and updated on the website: www.gns3.net